The team behind the #AUXE team: Jaap Vlijm
Next to be featured in our series “The team behind the #AUXE team” is our resident Dutchman and team mechanic, Jaap Vlijm. Born in Ermelo in the Netherlands, 42-year-old Jaap is an extraordinarily hard worker and a key member of Andretti United Extreme E.
Here’s what Jaap had to tell us in our Q&A…
- What’s your job role with #AUXE and tell us a bit about what that involves?
“I’m one of the team mechanics responsible for keeping the car in excellent technical and aesthetic condition.”
- What do you enjoy most about your job and Extreme E?
“It’s something totally different in so many ways: technically, the format... the places we go for example. We’ve had two races so far in Saudi and Senegal and both were so different from each other!”
- How long have you worked in motorsport and how did you get into the industry?
“I started in 2007, after a career as a fireman. I won a competition to join a A1GP team for a season and never left motorsport!”
- Who’s your motorsport hero?
“Dave Stubbs, my team manager at A1GP - he hired me even though I had no experience or a lot of knowledge of motorsport.”
- Which country would you most like to visit with Extreme E (doesn’t have to be on the calendar!)?
“Japan. That country has been on “to visit” list for years – go and make it happen XE!”
- What’s your favourite chocolate bar?!
“Milk chocolate and nuts!”
- Last book read?
“It was Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. Great space opera writer who sadly passed away too soon.”
- What’s your favourite movie?
“There’s too many in too many categories… I’ll go for Star Wars, a New Hope.”
- First album purchased
“First album I ever bought was: SNAP, The madmans return. Oh, the good old days 😊”
- Finally, do you have any secret talents?
“I’m a half decent cook!”