The team behind the #AUXE team: Adam Whitaker
Next to be featured in our series “The team behind the #AUXE team” is 27-year-old Adam Whitaker, Andretti United Extreme E's number one mechanic. When he’s not travelling for Extreme E or working on other projects, Adam can be found in or around Leeds in England – close to United Autosports’ headquarters.
Here’s what Adam had to tell us in our latest team Q&A…
- What’s your job role with #AUXE and tell us a bit about what that involves?
“I am the number one mechanic on the car which involves working with a fantastic team and ultimately being responsible for the car being ready in good time for each session.”
- What do you enjoy most about your job and Extreme E?
“Extreme E is very different to anything I have done in motorsport before, I love the places we visit and the atmosphere in the paddock is very friendly - the teams all help each other out with tools and equipment. If anyone needs anything, someone will have it and help them.”
- How long have you worked in motorsport and how did you get into the industry?
“I started in motorsport in 2012. Having only ever tinkered on cars, I attended the national college for motorsport at Silverstone. I went out on apprenticeship after six months, following the same path a driver would starting in the lower categories and then working my way up.”
- Who’s your motorsport hero?
“Timmy Hansen, have you seen the bloke drive?!”
- Which country would you most like to visit with Extreme E (doesn’t have to be on the calendar!)?
“New Zealand, I’ve always wanted to go and the scenery looks unreal! I’m sure there could be some great venues for Extreme E there.”
- what’s your favourite chocolate bar?
“My family actually make chocolate so I think I’d be shot if I didn’t say Whitaker’s Chocolate coffee creams!”
- Last book you read?
“Guy Martin’s autobiography, there are some very funny parts in it.”
- What’s your favourite film?
“Coach Carter, it always makes me feel super motivated.”
- Finally, do you have any hidden talents?
“Not a talent as such but I enjoy Olympic weightlifting and crossfit.”
Adam will next be in action with Andretti United Extreme E for the upcoming Arctic X Prix in Greenland (28-29 August).